on Activities on Plasma2

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Oct 30 18:46:29 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 16:53:02 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> Aaron:
> > for instance, if we have a “Presentation Mode” activity template,
> > PowerDevil could have settings in the template that are appropriate for
> > presentations (turn off screen sleep), kscreen could set up multiple
> > screens in a presentation mode (e.g. not clone), and the desktop shell
> > can put some relevant applications (e.g. presentation apps) on the
> > panel/desktop.
> I have no issues with that part of the story.
>
> So, we need some kind of a new api regarding activity meta-data.
>
> Should we create a uniform api for different types of data or create api for
> each type (currently templates)? (I'm leaning towards the former so that we
> don't end up with dead methods like isEncrypted()).

i think the design depends partly on what kind of interaction is needed by the
users of the metadata; e.g. in the case of “which template to use?” all that
is really called for is a simple key/value store. if there are cases where
further interpretation / validation of the results is required, then something
more robust might be helpful. even then, that might be best outside of kamd to
keep kamd testable and maintainable. without a thorough examination, my
initial thought is “key/value store please"

and yes, i agree with you that a uniform API is probably best in this case.