Revamping KSplash KCM

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 12:42:34 UTC 2013

Hey all,

I was about to port the KSplash KCM but a) the code is quite ugly, b) the
kcm is quite ugly. So I decided to rewrite it from scratch (I guess fresh
code after 15 years is in place) using slightly different approach.

First of all I wanted it to look similar to our wallpaper setting dialog,
so I took its delegate and made it work for list view (in contrast to grid
view of the wallpaper kcm). The backend is a full fledged
QAbstractListModel, which would make porting the kcm to QML eventually very
easy. I'm not yet very sure where to put the buttons for getting new themes
(KHNS), installing a theme or the preview button. Needs some thinking.

Screenshot at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6761102/ksplash_kcm1.png(the
color for the title is way too gray, I'm not sure why as my normal
text color is black, nevertheless it should use system colors).

At this point it's moreless a (working) proof of concept and I'd like to
hear some opinions on the direction where this is heading. Is it good? Bad?

Also please let's not discuss "why not get rid of ksplash altogether/put it
into kwin" in here, we'll need the kcm even if it gets moved elsewhere, so
let's stay focused on the kcm.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer