Keep the Things You Forgot

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Thu Oct 24 14:14:44 UTC 2013

On 24 October 2013 14:54, Mario Fux KDE ML <kde-ml at unormal.org> wrote:

>> You probably mean dot.kde.org/2013/09/25/frameworks-5
>
> And this:
> http://dot.kde.org/2013/09/04/kde-release-structure-evolves

Yes, that explains Frameworks and Workspaces, albeit a little fuzzy on
Workspaces vs Plasma, but it kinda leaves Applications hanging, and
with good reason as we really don't know what's happening there yet.
Talking to a few people there does seem to be an interest in having a
clean-up of the modules and apps, reducing the number of apps in the
"official" release, having fewer "essential" applications of higher
quality, and killing off the "SC" name once and for all.  I'm also
keen on breaking down the whole Modules vs Extragear distinction,
they're all KDE Applications built by the same KDE Community, just
with different release schedules.  How that all might work is
something the community as a whole needs to discuss.

John.