Can we drop kcontrol/workspaceoptions?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Oct 18 15:35:04 UTC 2013

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 19:51:24 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> and another KCM, but for this one I'm not sure whether it still has
> something useful: kcontrol/workspaceoptions
>
> It offers the following features:
> * switch between workspace type "Desktop" and “Netbook”

i know i’m the 3rd (if that) person to note that we need a place to configure
this. but it isn’t here, and it will not be a simple drop down box.

this is a complex use case that needs thinking through and probably requires
some group white board design sessions where note:

* all possible use cases
* the use cases we’ll actually support

and then we will have a much better idea of where this goes and how it will be
presented.

> * configure dashboard to "show Desktop widgets" or "Show an independent
> widget set”

i’d rather see this appear in the toolbox for the dashboard. how much more
sensible to have a configuration “wrench” in the title area that when clicked
shows such configuration possibilities.

> * checkbox for "show informational tips" (whatever that is)

i’d like to see this move into the theming area. it’s a visual item. ditto for
a “scroll wheeling changes what is selected” option.

so i think this KCM can go, but the functionality all needs to go into new
places. we either need:

* to make those changes first and then remove the KCM (making removal of the
KCM our goal which can only be achieved by completing the blocking tasks)

* create tasks on the wiki recording these as Musts for the first release

the latter is probably the most sensible.