No co-installability of plasma 1 and 2

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 12:35:09 UTC 2013

On Monday 25 November 2013, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> If a distribution wants to provide Plasma1 and Plasma2 at the same time,
> they can just install them to different prefixes like how project neon
> does it. The time span when users might want to co-install Plasma 1 and 2
> is very short. Maybe one release cycle. I don't think that it's worth the
> effort to change hundreds of binaries, libraries, plugins, desktop files,
> source code to locate and load plugins for this short period of time.
>
> Anybody who disagrees? Your arguments please :-)

will make slightly harder for distributions at start, but anyways having kde4
and what is based on frameworks coinstalled in /usr screams a little about
problems anyways for me (and we can't expect every application to rename to
foo5)

so coinstallability -> one of the two goes in a prefix (ideally after release
is the 4 stuff going there)

so +1 for keeping kwin name

--
Marco Martin