KDE workspace users

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Nov 15 11:25:46 UTC 2013

Hey,

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 18:50:35 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> With KDE Frameworks taking shape and sceenshots of Plasma 2 starting
> to appear it's worth looking at what else will need to be done to
> allow distros to ship it all.
>
> kde-runtime needs ported and there's a desire to move its various parts
> around https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/New_Runtime_Organization
> this page hasn't been touched for some time so I hope to make it more
> complete and discuss it more
>
> kde-workspace needs to be ported.  much of this is under way in plasma
> 2 or the port of KWin but I'm not sure if it's all being tracked
> somewhere, should it be?

It is being tracked, yes. See links below.

> Then there's various bits which use KDE Workspace and will stop
> working if you run Plasma 2.  Various KControl Modules and plasma
> applets need ported to make a useable workspace. I've collected a list
> of the important ones here
> https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/KDE_workspace_users

This page has huge overlap with PW2Todo (
http://community.kde.org/Plasma/PW2Todo
 ), and I'd really like to prevent us losing track in a jungle of TODOs on
wiki pages.

Suggestion: Let's fold the items in here into PW2Todo (after pruning to what
really makes sense given our plans at: http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Next

> is this a useful list or is there already one somewhere?
> is there a better name for the list?  it's bits which use the workspace
> rather than people who are users? is there a better place to put this wiki
> page? it's gatecrashing on the frameworks name now but maybe it shouldn't.
> does anything else need added to the list or are there other status updates
> I'm not aware of?

So Plasma/Next has the overarching plans, it has subpages for Epics which
define the goals and strategy, the individual todo items resulting from that
are in PW2Todo.

sebas