[kde-workspace] plasma/generic/applets/systemtray2/package/contents/ui: Systemtray: Delegate Sizing

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 10:11:44 UTC 2013

On Saturday 02 November 2013, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Git commit f5e0dde35e5d7da14acf6e0b4a53ead96685daec by Sebastian Kügler.
> Committed on 02/11/2013 at 02:27.
> Pushed by sebas into branch 'master'.
>
> Systemtray: Delegate Sizing
>
> This commit makes the gridview more dynamically sized. I think in a
> world of Retina displays, we should move away from pixel-based sizes as
> much as possible. From this point on, protocols are simply not allowed
> to determine the size of their items. We can still apply tricks in the
> possible x11 protocol, and have support for images and movies of fixed
> size working well. The input area absolutely has to be client-defined,
> we can't have applications tell us "the interactive area for this app is
> 22x22 pixels" -- that is not going to happen, as it simply breaks on
> different dpi *and* input devices.

+100

> As such, the item size is now more dynamic, the logic is not complete
> yet, but the direction of this gets clearer. This makes the "basic"
> itemSize a "recommendation" to the UI for now (it will become an even
> more internal detail later).

iirc IconItem already draws the icon of the "right" size for small ones
(switching to smooth rescale when big enough) so icons both pixmaps and svgs
shoul already be rendered correctly so just a little of logic needed from
systray side ;)

> Otherwise, the system tray is coming along nicely. What works:
>
> - Display of status notifier items (not interactive yet, just icons)
> - Embedding of plasmoids such as battery, network
>
> A few things that I want to improve at a later stage is the messy popup
> situation. We can probably embed the popups of the plasmoids and
> statusitems into the systemtray popup and streamline this navigational
> process a bit, while keeping the same interaction model.

yes, I would like to have a single popup for the systray (when selecting an
icon, slide the icon list of the popup to the full view of the plasmoid, heck,
if qdbusmenu was a tad smarter it could do that even for statusnotifieritems
menus)

that probably requires the plasmoids in systray not use the default collapsed
view coming from the shell package, but another one provided by the systray
itself

> We're obviously not feature-complete yet and it's all very
> work-in-progressish, but it's "coming along nicely". :)
>
> Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/LuQdkDL.png

awesomio already :)

--
Marco Martin