[RFC] Moving Wishlist Items to Brainstorm

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue May 28 13:07:46 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 28 May 2013 14:25:08 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On 28.05.2013 14:17, Luiz Romário Santana Rios wrote:
> > 2013/5/28 Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org>:
> >> If developers start actively searching for very specific brainstorm
> >> topics,
> >> the whole point of moving there would be moot.
> >> The goal is that the forum does the filtering and developers only have to
> >> look at the most upvoted ideas and move those that seem to be worthy of
> >> implementation back into bugzilla.
> >
> > So, the idea is to move wishlist bugs away from bugzilla, repost them
> > in the brainstorm forum, and then post the most upvoted ideas back
> > into bugzilla, where interested devs will actually look for ideas?
>
> I don't know how exactly the KWin team does it, but I only see benefit
> if only the most useful and wanted ideas even reach developers. If they
> still have to sift through dozens of ideas with the only difference that
> they have a vote number attached to them, I don't see too much of an
> advantage.
I'm subscribed to all ideas coming in on brainstorm. It's not much -
comparable to what we get as feature requests still on bugzilla.

The point is not to get the number of votes, but to get the downvotes. I am
not aware that I ever implemented an idea. So the number of bad ideas is way
higher than the number of good ones. That's the key to the success. If we want
to have useable feature requests we need to get rid off the useless ones.

Cheers
Martin