Battery Monitor revamp

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Sun May 26 16:53:24 UTC 2013

So I pushed a few patches:

Am Samstag, 25. Mai 2013, 13:10:14 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> see these screenshots for some layouting issues:
Fixed.

> also, after expanding a battery to see detailed information, collapsing it
> leaves an empty space. that should re-collapse, similar to thow the
> notifications plasmoid does.
Hmm, not sure how I can do that. When I play around with the minimum size of
the plasmoid, it often just ends up puking its content to the panel and not
becoming a popup applet.

> also, would be nice to align the content in the tooltip with a (i know,
> horrible:) html table. we do this elsewhere and it looks a lot nicer.
Done. I removed the AC adapter thing from the tooltip as well. I wanted to
make the percentage bold but it looks misaligned with oxygen font (which it
does in the current battery monitor too)
The icon on the left also reflects the battery status.

> very nice; one thing that Marco noted was that it should only be animating
> when the popup is open
Fixed. Although I couldnt just do
running: plasmoid.popupShowing
 but had to fetch the property on the root item and pass it through to the
BatteryItem

> to me, the easing curve also seems a bit .. not right. after changing the
> InQuad to InCubic in BatteryItem.qml line 117 it feels a lot more like it is
> charging.
Agreed. Fixed.

> fine with me. as i've noted numerous times before, remaining time is
> inherently innacurate. it is only accurate over long periods of
> (statistically) consistent power draw. in a modern system, that is
> generally not the case. one visit to youtube can ruin your expectations ;)
Completely removed now. All helper functions, properties, etc. The Dataengine
still exposes it but we should leave it there, so an upset user could add it
back or third party battery monitors that might appear on kde-apps don't
break.

> so we'd vote for leaving them out.
Also completely removed. Also removed the platformcontents folder because the
only thing in there was the platform.js that was helping for suspend.

> we'd also vote for getting rid of the option to show the percentage overlay
> on the battery icon. it could be shown on desktop when the plasmoid gets to
> a certain size, and instead of floating in the middle of the battery (which
> looks not so nice) it could perhaps appear in a small strip that overlays
> the battery across the full width at the very bottom?
On the desktop it would work that way, yes. But I really want to have the
percentage shown in the panel but don't know how that could work better like
the curent implementation. If there wasn't that blockish look but a continuous
rectangle we could more accurately reflect the percentage.

> the problem is in powerdevil?
Wrote a mail to kde-hardware-devel about that.

> Switches
Replaced with a checkbox and tried to make the best of it…