Battery Monitor revamp

Daniel Nicoletti dantti12 at gmail.com
Sat May 25 12:14:03 UTC 2013

2013/5/25 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> Switches are not to be used on Desktop. For 4.11 the QML switch component
> appears as a checkbox, so you really don't have a choice in the end. The
> reasons are:
>
> * consistency
> * input device appropriateness
> * people use them poorly on desktop (just look at UIs that use them
> extensively on desktop and what the layouts end up looking like .. horrendous,
> often with labels on the left and switch crammed far off to the right. just
> like in this draft of the battery, actually, which ends up having an odd
> widget floating off on its own)
I'm sorry but I've been hearing the same phrase over and over KDE people,
"if something is broken go fix it instead of working around".

And this is clearly the case let's work around something we don't want to fix.
Switches are a clear improvement over checkboxes depending on the context
even my 60yo mom got it much quickier than a checkbox would be able to on
my plasmoids.

So because no one created guidelines on how/when to use them let's just
remove it?
I'm not trying to sound rude but this has to stop, GNOME is ripping out features
and guess what? Unhappy users.
Battery remaining time: Unhappy users.

Now really try to replace a Switch with a CheckBox and a Checkbox with a Switch:
http://wstaw.org/m/2013/05/25/plasma-desktopyB6013.png

You can of course do whatever you want to stuff you maintain, but the health way
imo would be to question people. And yes, if 4.11 is not going to have Switches,
I as the maintainer of my own stuff will simply fork it and be happy.

How does that fix any issue now? How is that good if it makes me and a bunch
of other developers to carry a copy (which I might even improve and
not give back) of a
component multiple times instead of sharing?

Best,

--
Daniel Nicoletti

KDE Developer - http://dantti.wordpress.com