Usability issue in the task bar applet

Eike Hein eikehein at gmail.com
Tue May 21 10:26:44 UTC 2013

> imho this is not a good solution. the idea of "icons in the panel" is
> broken
> in a number of ways: the icons may not only be in the panel at all, there
> is
> no "the" panel (or put another way: panels may have very different
> purposes),
> etc. the icon handling reflects how things were a decade ago.

Yeah, that conceptual problem - nothing guarantees that the widget is
located
on a panel, and picking the category based on containment constraints makes
things complex fast - is another reason why I haven't pursued a patch for
the
icon item ...

But I'm not keen on adding a widget-level config checkbox for this behavior
either
personally, so it's a dilemma.