Default activity naming issues

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at gmail.com
Wed May 15 07:59:40 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I know everybody is busy with plasma2 (even I manage to find some time to
play around with it, unfortunately not more than that), but there is one
issue that I'd like to raise regarding the current release.

The default name for the default activity 'Desktop' is causing a few
problems.

Firstly, people (iirc, it was even on some podcast like LAS) are confused
why would we write Desktop on a desktop like they don't know already what
it is.

The problem with the name is that no real person's task/project/activity
would have this name.

Another issue is that when the user right-clicks a file, she gets a menu
item Activities->Link to Desktop. And she then thinks it will create a
symbolic link to the desktop. Which it doesn't. In Plasma Active, it would
do something similar, but not for the plasma-desktop.

Cheerio,
Ivan

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard