[RFC] Remove remote plasmoids in 4.11

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 8 08:36:47 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 21:56:06 Aleix Pol wrote:
> Then it should be fixed.

There are limitations to the current implementation that, to be overcome, would require more
than a fix but a significant reworking. We made an early bet on Jolie, for instance, and that simply
never emerged as expected. It relies on polling of remote DataEngines when really the remote
DataEngines should push. Negotiation of sharing is limited (what happens when you leave a
network? Can you disconnect individual accesses?). Making all concurrent actions appear on all
instances relies on the extensive use of Services which has not happened in most plasmoids. etc..

It's a very interesting and potentially useful feature, but the first draft fails in fairly unfixable ways
to follow through on the promise.

My thinking on this is that we ought to wait until we have a very compelling use case (Plasma
Media Center controls is one such thing imho) and then build something using the lessons learned
in libplasma1.