Plasma Workspaces 4.11: the last feature release in the 4.xseries for kde-workspace

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun May 5 07:28:57 UTC 2013

On Saturday 04 May 2013 22:34:04 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> On Friday 03 May 2013 at 17:04:44, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> > @Kevin: I am only remotely following this issue, but as PackageKit
> > developer, I would of course like to see our project in Plasma
> > Workspaces as soon as possible. But I don't know the exact issues
> > here. Also, having KSecrets merged would be a nice goal too. (The
> > SecretService API is very stable, and has the potential to become a
> > new de-facto XDG standard soon)
>
> The issues are the same in both cases: They're kdelibs features and kdelibs
> does not accept any features. By the time the first release of the Plasma
> Workspaces based on KF5 is planned, kdelibs will have been feature-frozen
> for THREE YEARS!!! (And I'm not even speaking of applications there!)
@Kevin: a small tip. People might consider your arguments as valid if you
would calm down a little bit in your writing. I cannot consider arguments of
people as serious if they scream, neither in spoken communication nor in
written communication.

As I already wrote in my last mail to this thread: yes everybody knows your
opinion of how kdelibs freeze should be handled. Repeating it in every single
thread which might even be slightly related to the freeze, won't change
anything. All the arguments you bring up were valid or not two years ago and
that hasn't change. Don't expect that people just change their mind because
Kevin just pointed out that it will be a freeze of three years in the end.

It would be really awesome if you could switch your passion on that topic in
constructive work and help making kde-framworks rock so that the freeze is not
that long. I don't see why one wouldn't want to start integrating new features
right now.

Cheers
Martin