Plasma Workspaces 4.11: the last feature release in the 4.xseries for kde-workspace

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat May 4 20:21:07 UTC 2013

On Friday 03 May 2013 at 14:39:31, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> a completely workable approach was suggested. the work on ksecrets started
> and stopped a couple times.

A complicated workaround for the freeze was suggested that would have been a
lot of work when the existing much simpler approach already worked. The
approach would have had no technical advantage other than working around the
pointless freeze. (Quite the opposite, the plugin approach that was suggested
would have introduced a circular dependency in distribution packages.) It's no
wonder the KSecrets developer didn't have the time and/or motivation to
rewrite all his code for that approach.

> at one point it was tested for inclusion and apparently it did not work in
> some configurations (i forget the exact issue; it was quite a while ago and
> the discussion iirc was on kde-packager?). but usefully, it progressed quite
> far.

The version that got released didn't work at all:
* replacing KWallet didn't work because the kdelibs patch was rejected and the
suggested plugin-based solution was never implemented,
* replacing gnome-keyring didn't actually work either, and the bug(s) which
prevented that from working was/were never fixed because the project got
abandoned due to the kdelibs freeze.

We tried packaging it in Fedora. The above was what we found out. And we were
not alone: In fact, KSecrets got removed from later coordinated KDE releases
due to it not working at all.

> hopefully you can put it in a repository that can be used by kdelibs which
> would both get around the 4.x kdelibs freeze *and* prepare it for
> frameworks.

I'm not the KSecrets developer.

        Kevin Kofler