Plasma Workspaces 4.11: the last feature release in the 4.x series for kde-workspace

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu May 2 20:22:36 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 01 May 2013 at 09:41:15, Andriy Rysin wrote:
> If the feature freeze for 4.11 is May 22 and there is no more feature
> releases for branch 4.x, where all those features from GSoC go?

Probably the same as my libplasma PackageKit integration from GSoC 2011: in
the digital nirvana and/or in distro patches. :-(

Just as for kdelibs, I really don't understand the purpose of sabotaging the
work of those people who want to implement features in 4.x. Doing this in
parallel to Qt-5-based long-term development is exactly what git (or any half-
decent SCM, really) has branches for. It would not be the same people working
on the 2 branches.

The kdelibs freeze has sabotaged several important features distributions have
been waiting for for years, e.g. KSecrets (which was abandoned in non-working
stage after the kdelibs patches were rejected). We should not repeat the same
mistake for kde-workspace!

        Kevin Kofler