[Nepomuk] Nepomukcontroller rewritten in QML

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 21:41:02 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Jörg Ehrichs <Joerg.Ehrichs at gmx.de> wrote:

> > IMHO all of these need to be replaced with the async variants. This
> > unfortunately affects a lot of your code. The service job should be
> > easy as you don't wait for the results, the service engine is less of
> > any easy change. You might want to get a second opinion before
> > starting.
> >

> I was hoping that it could stay this way (less code this way around)
> but ideally you are right, this should go async in case one of the
> services hangs in such a method (doubt that happens, but
> we never know).
>
> But I'll wait for 1-2 more opinions on this first.

Fwiw synchronous calls are never good. In KDE Telepathy we were also using
sync dbus calls and this caused for example Amarok hanging for few seconds
on startup (had to do with mpris detection); and these are super hard to
debug/find. Also as plasma-desktop represents the main shell UI, I think
you never ever want to block that, even if just for a second.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer