[RFC] Re: : Drop support for Compiz in KDecoration

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 16:44:23 UTC 2013

On Freitag, 15. März 2013 14:38:45 CEST, Martin Gräßlin wrote:

> Since [1] KWin has the internal KDecorationBridge as a public part of the
> KDecoration API to allow Compiz to implement it. This is rather
> unfortunate as
> it makes our life more difficult as we cannot extend our
> internal API without
> doing subclassing and all that effort (see for example [2]).

Actually it makes the bridge more or less pointless :-(

> Given that it seems like nobody is still using Compiz instead
> of KWin I do not see why we should continue to support it.

Even iff, there's no discontinue at all - there's just a coordination issue between two projects.

> Comments?
I'm not 100% sure, but if compiz/libdecoration.so is (rather?!) ABI stable, whoever wants to maintain compiz-decorator-kde (unlikely canonical...) could preferably do in KDE (/extragear?) where we can easily keep it compatible (to the internal KWin API) resp. it would then release in sync with KDE (or later on KWin)

If it's a complete Janusproject (depending on two actually internal APIs) if would have to run any release cycles and ship new versions whenever necessary.

Cheers,
Thomas