We need GSOC ideas

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 09:25:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> More ideas:
>
> * store, upload and retrieve all desktop settings for seamless online based
> device replication at login.
>
> * qml appmenu: create a touch friendly, QML based implementation of appmenu
> for use in touch based environments
>
> * new lock, logout and user switch QML implementation. Rather than just
> reimplementing the old UIs the QML replaced, develop modern replacments in
> terms of visuals and interaction
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo

Another idea (not very plasma related).

By default KDE ships "Ark" to extract archives. However, it misses
quite a bit of functionality. For instance:
- You cannot select multiple files from within Ark and drag them to
Dolphin. It will only extract the first file from the selection.
- If you try to extract - for example - a zip archive without having
unzip installed then Ark will just run for a while and silently stop.

Now we do have the great KArchive class, so perhaps it becomes a
viable option to do one of the following for Ark:

--- Option 1 (the unpopular one with massive work) ---
completely throw out the Ark, make QML interfaces for KArchive and
create a QML bases Arc application. This will have quite a few very
complicated challenges. Mostly on the QML side. It will be the way
forward in the long term.

--- Option 2 (the "easy" option) ---
The bugzilla Arc list is quite large [1] and there doesn't seem to be
a whole lot of love in the code side either [2]. Just improving Ark
based on the bug reports would be awesome for an Ark experience
improvement.

[1] https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=general&list_id=537971&product=ark&query_format=advanced&order=bug_id%20DESC&query_based_on=
[2] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=ark.git