[plasma-framework] /: Revert "Enabling C++11 flags for clang and gcc"

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Jun 28 21:07:50 UTC 2013

On Friday 28 June 2013 20:52:59 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday, June 28, 2013 13:08:49 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > Just to clarify: It's not a "no-no" to using C++11, it's to make sure
> > we're able to build without them.
>
> We have no interest in trying to maintain a build that does not require
> C++11. There are too many useful features that we can take advantage of and
> the overhead of working around such issues and / or having multiple
> compile-time paths is not of interest to us.

Tell me about it. There's quite a few features I'd love to sprinkle around
too... Who wouldn't want shiny new language features?

> I understand that this may not be desirable for libraries such as kdecore
> and other such tier 1 or 2 libraries .. but for frameworks so high up in
> the hierarchy as plasma, I don't see the benefit.

Hm, right could be something mandatory for tiers 1 and 2, and something to
evaluate on a case by case basis for tier 3.

> > Is there a point of using libplasma2 out of the shell?
>
> Yes, as evidenced by the KPart in use by various 4.x based applications.

OK, that confirms my own feeling, just wanted to make sure it was correct and
still in the plans.

> Now, I have 2 specific issues with what happened here that have nothing to
> do with technology:
>
> a) a decision for "no C++11" was apparently made  .. somewhere. It overruled
> our own desires and plans (though of us actually working on the code).
> Where can I reference the implications of this?
>
> (I ask because if they are not severe and Frameworks is all about being able
> to build on shitty old compilers on every platform known to man then
> perhaps plasma does not belong as an official part of that effort)

It's not about shitty old compilers or every platform known to man. As I
mentioned it's about trying to be on the same platforms than Qt. And with such
a premise VS2012 has a very partial C++11 support, Android NDK uses gcc 4.6 by
default (apparently you can upgrade that to 4.7 but we can't expect third
parties to do it by default, means partial support in both cases), BB10 cross-
compiler doesn't properly support C++11. We're not exactly talking about
obscure platforms here.

> b) Your approach was to revert a commit.

Indeed, should have sent an email here first.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net