Keyboard detection and a test request

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 10:35:05 UTC 2013

On Friday 21 June 2013 12:01:26 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I (think) I'm now properly detecting regular mice, touch-pads and touch-
> screens, based on some X properties of those.
>
> It would be very nice if people with touch-screens and touch-pads would do
> the following test - run xinput on your device (if not installed, you can
> ssh -X to a machine that has xinput)
>
> Take the id of the touch* device, and do this (replace 4 with an actual id)
> xinput list-props 4

a synaptics touch pad (would be interesting to see what it says of a mac one
instead that are always a bit "different" as usual):
http://paste.opensuse.org/38547649

> --
>
> The keyboard is a problem.
>
> X always reports a keyboard present - the 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
> device. The second thing is that it has no properties to distinguish a real
> keyboard from special button-keyboard devices like 'Sleep Button' etc.
>
> The approach that I am considering is the following - have a platform config
> (following the current approach we have in PA) file that will say whether
> the device has a keyboard by default. This will tell me whether the 'AT
> Transl...' is a real keyboard or not.

yeah, this laptop also has an "AT translated set 2 keyboard" that appears to
be the real keyboard of the laptop on /dev/input/event0 and then a bunch of
other stuff that is not really relevant

i wonder if there is any way to discover how many buttons a keyboard has? (if
this is advertised by the device at all)

--
Marco Martin