QML Task Manager merged

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Jun 6 20:35:18 UTC 2013

On Thursday 06 June 2013 18:12:30 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 06 June 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > btw, i thought quite a bit about perhaps doing the same also in the main
> > applet UI itself .. but with multiple rows it will likely look ugly; imo
> > grids do not look great when the selection rect slides around, whereas it
> > works terrifically in linear lists. which reminds me that we need a
>
> yeah, i was thinking about using the same on the main applet as well...

Mmm, I'm not sure ... thing is, we all know that too-slow UI
animations are an impediment, but I think there's actually a
valley between two peaks of badness there: Too fast UI ani-
mations end up being attention-grabbers, and I think we
generally want the taskbar to stay out of the way and its
use to be almost instinctual, rather than draw the eye to
itself during routine operations (plus it might desensitize
users to the "needs attention" attention-grabbers).

So I fear all that sliding on the top-level bar might just be
too much really ... could still be worth trying tho.

Cheers,
Eike