QML Task Manager merged

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 6 16:08:37 UTC 2013

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 14:45:15 Eike Hein wrote:
> - Popup: Actually intentional after conferring with Sebas and IIRC Apol or
> Marco when making that decision ... Sebas was passionate that not reusing
> the task delegate would constitute information loss ("it's a task because
> it looks like one"), and I agree with that. The alternative on the table
> was consistency with the other panel popups - list items use a wholly
> nother SVG btw, they just happen to look the same in Air.

they can retain the same look, that's fine. what needs to change visually is
when shown in a popup the selection rect needs to move between items on hover.

in practice, this may mean a different delegate, or having different modes in
the same delegate (whichever is easier). that would allow us to keep the "task
looks like a task looks like a task ..." consistency while getting that one
small effect that's missing -> a sliding selection rect.

btw, i thought quite a bit about perhaps doing the same also in the main
applet UI itself .. but with multiple rows it will likely look ugly; imo grids
do not look great when the selection rect slides around, whereas it works
terrifically in linear lists. which reminds me that we need a *standard* effect
language for grid selection .. different topic for a different day, however.

as for using the SVGs for menus and not using the tasks SVG.. that could also
work. might ruin some themes, however. would need some experimenting. still,
the problem would remain -> sliding in grid sucks, in linear lists good :)