Fighting those Crash reports

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Jun 4 17:23:00 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, 2013-06-04, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> over the last few days I worked through the crash reports from Plasma. As
> discussed a large number got resolved as downstream and I tried to mark
> quite a lot as duplicate. Now we have ~100 open reports left.

I just remembered something related to duplicates of crash reports.
On my flight back from FOSDEM I got to set next to a QA engineer from Mozilla.
He told me that one thing they do with crash reports is to evalute their
number of occurences and other statistical data in order to prioritize actual
analysis.

I.e. a crash that gets lots of duplicates happens a lot, thus fixing it has
the highest impact on user happiness.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring