Device capabilities / platform status service

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Sat Jun 1 17:27:16 UTC 2013

Hi all,

For the shell switching / capabilities-based component loading, we'll need to
have the system to get the capabilities of UI devices (obviously :) ).

The service (guessing org.kde.platformstatus will fit this purpose) will need
to be able to:
 - get the keyboard, attached/detached events
 - mouse/touchpad devices, --||--
 - touch-screen devices (don't think those can be turned on/off on a same
screen, so we don't really need events for these)
 - screen resolution

It would be wise not to make this list extensive - we might need/want
something else later which would change the api later.

Also, sometimes these will not be able to be retrieved. Resolving the problems
regarding detection with a default value (can't detect keyboard -> no
keyboard) might not be sufficient in some cases, so the presence will need not
to be a simple bool, but a 3-value type - equivalent to option<bool>.

I've seen how to get most of these via xlib (haven't found this api in xcb;
solid doesn't have api for this).

Since this will rely on xlib, it also will need to be abstracted out to be
able to (1) support wayland protocol, (2) to have a fake backend for
development and testing purposes.

Also, I have a question regarding the actual implementation of
org.kde.platformstatus. Do we really need it to be a kded service since it
needs to be tightly integrated into plasma (and deal with all async stuff), or
we could just have it as a part of plasma binary, but expose via d-bus for
other applications?

Cheerio,
Ivan

--
Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those
of us who do.