QML Calendar components for Akonadi in scratch repo

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 21:19:39 UTC 2013

Hi,

Earlier this week I've got the request to make my calendar components
available that where made earlier this year in the KDE pim sprint.

It is in a scratch repository right now [1] but i have to warn you.
There are quite a couple of things missing!

* It's still QMake based
* It still depends on akonadi git (4.11) and kdepimlibs git (4.11).
The 4.10 version misses some headers that are only made available
since 4.11.
* The QML example [2] works, but is also far from "workable"
* It completely misses the holidays since those are still some
"special" beast that i've never looked at after the sprint. The
intention was to get the holidays into a real calendar (instead of a
library like it's now) and to give that task to someone at the current
GSoC. I don't know how that progress is going or if anyone is doing
this at all.
* the components (Calendar and CalendarData) are still part of this
project [1] and not separated in clean usable QML plugins. It's easy
to do so though.
* it still contains some debug output. No wonder for in development
code like this ;)

If people are going to work on this, make it better (or worse), please
send the patches to me for the [1] repository. I'd like to keep it
updated as much as possible.

One thing that is slightly amazing is that there is actual QML
component documentation [3].

For the future, these QML components should be made available under
"org.kde.pim.calendar" but in which repository should i place then?
kdepim-runtime or kde-runtime?

Then i'm guessing those components will be publicly usable in kde
4.12. Provided i put some more work in them obviously.

The plan for the more distant future is to extend the current
component set with edit and create functionality through new
components. So yes, that means making new calendar events right from
QML is going to be possible. But how that should be done and what the
new component names for that will be is still completely open. Any
ideas on the least intrusive way (for akonadi) are very welcome.

Cheers,
Mark

[1] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fmarkg%2Fakonadi_qml_calendar_components.git
[2] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fmarkg%2Fakonadi_qml_calendar_components.git&a=blob&h=0580bc4952e9bff7c42123b31328a605a003ed2c&hb=3a328a54ea14e3024b69d4dbbd9780893b18e9bd&f=qml%2FKDECalendar%2Fmain.qml
[3] http://community.kde.org/Calendar_API_QML