kwin thumbnail effect in Workspaces 2

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Jan 22 13:55:01 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 22 January 2013 15:24:55 Michail Vourlakos wrote:
> Στις 21/01/2013 01:57 μμ, ο/η Aaron J. Seigo έγραψε:
> > On Monday, January 21, 2013 12:37:43 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> >> The logic to determine the size of the thumbnail is not very difficult.
> >> We
> >> could provide a QML item (outside KWin) which has the same algorithm
> >> implemented and annotate code in KWin and the item to keep it in sync.
> >
> > sounds good .. i'm warming up to this idea more and more :)
> >
> > and if only QML imports were conditional, then the QML Item could even be
> > in an import provided with kwin itself and the code could be properly
> > shared in the tree :/ in any case, i doubt the algorithm to determine
> > thumbnail size from window size is complex at all and so keeping them in
> > sync should be easy .. and should QML imports improve sufficiently we can
> > always move the item later without causing problems like BIC :)
>
> Just to add a bit my experience from the above features which have been
> implemented
> for the workflow plasmoid for the window previews. I dont know if my
> implementations are any
> of use because this is a plasmoid case until the kwin effect is
> implemented in the near future
> now that the plasmoid is clean qml with all the C++ staff in qml plugins.
not really of use, because you just reiterate all the issues already known
with the TaskbarThumbnails effect. The limations of that effect are the reason
why we have this thread in the first place.

> To determine the thumbnail size for a preview I used
> Plasma::WindowEffects:windowSizes
> (I needed that in order to place the close button of the preview exactly
> next to the preview)
already wrong, it doesn't include the shadow, but the thumbnails will have the
shadow included. With Oxygen's huge shadows (40px per side) this is quite
relevant. The information is not available to the outside world of KWin at the
moment.

> For the scrolling of the previews in qml the plasmoid supports it when a
> user wants to see
> the previews for a specific desktop (if the dialog has to show more than
> 9 windows, scrolling is activated).
>
> Fow window previews a Rectangle is used to track where the preview must
> be placed.
> (I use previews through Plasma::WindowEffects::showWindowThumbnails )
> When the Rectangle for a specific preview gets out of the shown
> scrolling area the preview is disabled.
> (issue here is I think that if half of the rectangle is not shown the
> preview is disabled and not clipped).
> One way to solve it could be to show only complete rectangles all the
> time . (disable smooth scrolling and
> when scrolling the windows to move row by row).
> Other way could be to provide clipping in windows previews but I dont
> know how this can be done...
cannot be done through the taskbar thumbnail effect and will not be done. It's
out of scope for this effect.

I hope that you don't provide this Plasmoid somewhere with these settings
being enabled by default. You are using exactly the same approach as had been
done in Plasma Active. We know that it is horribly slow and requires extremely
many roundtrips to the X-Server.

--
Martin Gräßlin