some thoughts on screensavers in Plasma Workspaces 2

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 22 08:37:46 UTC 2013

On Sunday, January 13, 2013 20:25:14 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Sunday 13 January 2013 19:48:48 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> I hope that the startup time of a shell get's better with PW2 - especially
> being able to delay loading of elements through a QML LoaderItem and better
> threading should improve the situation. Nevertheless it has to be a design
> goal to have more or less instant locking. If the widgets are not loaded I
> don't care as long as there is at least the background item loaded.

yes; loading the background fully first and then only later loading the widget
is one approach.

i still do not like the "sleep and lock, hope lock happens first" methodology
*at all*. i don't see any reason why we don't *first* lock the screen and
*only* after the lock screen is "ready" start the actual sleep request.

i routinely get the lock screen kicking in after wake up from sleep due to
sleep being much faster than the lock screen on this machine.

> > the unlock greeter needs to be ported to QML properly. right now and
> > GreeterItem and KeyboardItem use QGraphicsProxyWidgets and this will break
> > in QML2 w/scenegraph. that means kxkb needs to provide a proper QML
> > component and the kgreet plugins in libs/kdm/ will need to turned into QML
> > bits. the complication there is that kdm uses them as well ... so maybe
> > some library duplication there, or .. we look at alternatives to kdm.
>
> Back when I started to work on this I run into this issue. The keyboard item
> should not be that difficult but the kgreet plugin will be a nightmare. The
> complete logic is implemented inside a QWidget. The individual greeters
> just add further widgets to the base widgets. My fear is that we have to
> start from a blank sheet of paper and given that it is security related I
> must say that I don't like it.

my hope is that we can cut the current implementation away from QWidget and
re-use the security sensitive bits. we'll see.

> I'm not sure whether we have any experts on
> security in the workspaces team?

not really, no.