Screen Edge handling in 4.11

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Mon Jan 21 10:33:23 UTC 2013

Le Monday 21 January 2013 11:03:53 Martin Gräßlin a écrit :
> Hi workspace devs,
>
> I just finished a rewrite of the Screen Edge handling in KWin [1] and now I
> want to tackle one of the long standing issues: hidden panel activation. For
> those who do not know the plans first designed years ago: instead of Plasma
> keeping track of where the panel is and reacting on the screen edge, we
> just let KWin handle this edge for Plasma and notify Plasma when the Panel
> should be shown. This brings the advantage that KWin and Plasma do not
> fight over the edge (normally KWin should win, though there are hacks to
> make Plasma win) and there is a consistent user experience on how to
> interact with screen edges.
>
> The new architecture has been implemented in a way to make that possible and
> I have thought about how we can setup a protocol which does not only suit
> the Plasma Panel case but also the Gwenview fullscreen & co cases.

Overall, I like the idea. I assume this should not interfere with applications
which do it the old way (checking the mouse cursor position over a fullscreen
window)

I take it this system will be implemented in a library. Do you plan for a
fallback plan, in case the system is using another window manager? For example
when running on Gnome, Openbox, Windows, Mac OS?

Aurélien