Request - Amend GPLv2+ license - Exemption link clause - for KDE weather engine/ions (weather related only) for BlackBerry 10/QNX

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Fri Jan 18 04:46:49 UTC 2013

On January 17, 2013 09:51:45 PM Shawn Starr wrote:
> On Thursday, January 17, 2013 09:47:27 PM Matthew Dawson wrote:
> > On January 17, 2013 08:06:05 PM Shawn Starr wrote:
> > > Hello folks,
> > >
> > > I need to get approvals from those who made some changes to the engine
> > > code, the change is to append the exemption clause to GPLv2+ so that I
> > > can link the binaries to QNX's libc / and RIM's cascades libs, as these
> > > are considered core to the OS.

<snip>

> > Sorry if I don't understand what you are asking for, but to link GPL
> > software against system libraries doesn't require exceptions (see
> > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SystemLibraryException
> >
> >  ).  If you are linking other applications against the engine code, then
> >  the
> >
> > exceptions is required.
>
> The libraries being linked into are not GPL however thats the need for the
> exemption clause. QNX's libc and RIM's cascades are not GPL/LGPL libraries.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn.

I understood that.  However, as the GPL faq states, GPL programs can link to
system libraries that are closed source.  libc (assuming that is the C
library) is definitly a system library, and I assume cascades is one too (it's
stated in the GPL what the definition is).  This is why you don't need an
exception for GPL software on Windows.

The exceptions you talk about are for applications (a third party) linking
against libraries (being the weather data engines), thus creating a LGPL like
license.  The wikipedia article you linked to describes this in detail.

Now, if you are looking for the code to be LGPL like, then I'd think it be
easiest to re-license the code to the LGPL.  If you simply need to link to
system libraries, then no exception/re-licensing is necessary.

Matthew