Thoughts about a better Quality Management process for Plasma

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jan 17 11:51:51 UTC 2013

On Thursday 17 January 2013 11:22:04 David Edmundson wrote:
> This morning I spent an hour going through the list of "general", I
> found a few problems.
>
> There were several bugs I looked at where the relevant component
> didn't exist (webslice plasmoid, timer plasmoid).
> All plasmoids should have a component, it's much easier to manage lots
> of small lists than one big one, especially for delegating. I created
> components for the items I found (hope that's OK), and will continue
> to do so. If anyone else finds one of these, ping someone with
> bugzilla superpowers (like me)
I think that's the way to go. As I wrote: there should be a component for it.

> There are a lot of crashes filed against general, looking at the
> backtrace it's impossible to see who's at fault. The backtrace only
> shows some timer firing, or a python binding call or something generic
> - it's impossible to tell what's at fault. I have no idea how we can
> fix this.
For those crashes the most important one is whether there is a way to
reproduce them. If not -> garbage. No use in a crash report where we don't
know what caused it.

> Some bugs weren't even against plasma (as devs know it). As we use the
> phrase "plasma workspaces" I guess it's natural for bugs to end up
> here which are totally generic. I found bugs on kwin, dolphin, and
> other KDE things. I don't think there's really a fix for this.
ah that was the reason for the bug you moved to us :-)

It's a common thing to happen. In KWin we get bugs for:
* Plasma
* X
* screen locker (that's very recent due to the original plans to move it
inside KWin)

So I think it will always happen that bugs are wrongly reported. Actually
that's what I would love to have the bug squad for. No need to have devs move
it around.

> There's a lot of wishlists.
> I found these very hard to triage because I can't say on someone
> else's project saying "we're never doing this, wontfix", which I would
> do on my projects (maybe slightly more politely). I imagine many
> others are in the same position, how can we manage this?
get a proper policy, like wishes only on brainstorm. I just find bugtrackers
unsuited for wishes.

Thanks for looking into it :-)

--
Martin Gräßlin