Plasma & Python in KF5; was Re: Having an issue with the minimum size of Plasma.WebView

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Wed Jan 16 19:48:35 UTC 2013

On 01/16/2013 02:44 PM, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 January 2013, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
>> So you'd write a set of QObject deriven classes in Python (you can use
>> various existing third party libraries for that, if you wish so), but they
>> don't have any UI in them, they just offer non-visual extensions.
>
> the problem, if i understood correctly is that the properties, signals and
> slots defined in those python classes would not visible from qml, due to how
> it internally works (they are not in the static metadata object that can't be
> touched at runtime, at least not outside of Qt)

QtQuick is quite bindings hostile in this aspect when it should be fully
dynamic (i.e. not requiring things to done at compile time).

Anyway, as fate or dumb luck would have it, I was playing around with
QML and Python a day or two before Luca pointed me towards this thread.
I also discovered this bindings problem and read that it was quite
difficult for PyQt to do. I went digging and found that the PySide guys
had developed an acceptable solution, under the LGPL v2 (god bless
them!). So for the last few days I've been (slowly) porting their
solution over to work with PyQt. There is more work to do but I don't
see why it shouldn't be possible to "import" module/extensions written
in Python into a QML file and use it like you would a C++ one.

work in progress...

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards