Having an issue with the minimum size of Plasma.WebView

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jan 16 10:41:05 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 13:47:32 Paulo Nogueira wrote:
> So the python support will be there, and if I don't want to write QML
> UI. Would it be possible to still writing the UI using python ?

this is a bit like asking "If I don't want to use QGraphicsView, can I still
write the UI using python?" there is no choice in that, as the entire plasma
shell ends up being rendered on a QGraphicsView via a QGraphicsScene.

we are moving to the QML scenegraph and the only UI system supported will be
QML. so all the UI will be done in QML, and there will be no choice in that
just as there i no choice in using QGraphicsView now.

the possibility exists for us to support Applets which are written in python
but which use QML for the user visible parts. you'd still need to write and
ship QML, but maybe you could do some behind-the-scenes parts in python. the
question is: why?

there really is nothing left that is easier or better done with python when it
comes to the UI. all business logic that is Too Complex(tm) to be done in QML
can be (and should be) put into loadable QML components, Plasma Services, etc.
these can be written in C++, and possibly python, but they really don't touch
the UI itself.

as such, i don't see any reason to support writing Applets in a python+QML
hybrid form.