KWin and FrameSvg

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Jan 16 09:54:18 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 16 January 2013 10:28:30 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 January 2013, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > * EffectFrames render a "widgets/background"
> > * PresentWindows and DesktopGrid render a "dialogs/background"
> > * TabBox uses PlasmaCore.FrameSvgItem with "dialogs/background"
> > * DesktopChangeOSD uses PlasmaCore.Dialog, so implicitly
> > "dialogs/background"
> >
> > Everything that uses "dialogs/background" is broken and gets the opaque
> > element set. Everything that uses "widgets/background" gets correctly the
> > translucent set (tried changing PresentWindow and TabBox and it got
> > correct
> > elements).
>
> hmm, maybe they don't provide an opaque set...
> the set to use is chosen in theme.cpp, line 258
>
> to notice if composite is active, uses kwindowsystem (KWindowSystem::self()-
> >compositingActive()), maybe that's why becomes broken in kwin? (since also
>
> other kwindowsystem functions tends to break when used there)
possible, I will give it a try and add there a debug statement.

> > I'm a little bit at loss here. I would like to get this fixed for 4.10.
> > Any
> > advice would be very welcome. Have there been any changes? Is there a way
> > to request the translucent set (KWin knows better whether Compositing is
> > used than anyone else ;-)?
>
> yeah, due to a quirk you can force translucent  or force opaque (but you
> can't force the normal transparent one)
>
> you can ask for the "translucent/dialogs/background" element
>
> at least for 4.10 you can maybe force translucent to dialogs.
> there is only one version of widgets/background, so should be always ok-ish
> (can never be used as a main frame of a window tough since doesn't have an
> opaque version)
ok, that'll work for the effects (always translucent - easy enough, they don't
exist in non compositing) and should work for tabbox by setting a context
property.

But won't work for the script which uses PlasmaCore.Dialog. If it's really a
problem with KWindowSystem and KWin, we can think of a solution for 4.11
(hidden property or something like that).

--
Martin Gräßlin