Having an issue with the minimum size of Plasma.WebView

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 15 13:47:31 UTC 2013

On Monday, January 14, 2013 17:50:00 Luca Beltrame wrote:
> The bindings are there because libplasma is in kdelibs, and as such they are

in libplasma2, all of the widget bits (QGraphicsView stuff currently) are moved
outside. there is literally no widget bits to bind to in libplasma2.

so when it comes to python support in future, there are 2 possibilities i can
see:

* python bindings for Applet, but all the UI still done in QML and python gets
used as we currently use C++ for hybrid applets

* we decide that all extensions to QML are done through Plasma plugins
(services, dataengines, etc.) or QML imports. this would mean there would be
no need for python and QML to ever come together. we could write QML imports,
services, dataengines, models, etc. in python perhaps .. but not the plasmoids
themselves.

the latter has numerous advantages in that it keeps the development story
simple, gives us a fighting chance at one day having reliable sandboxing and
doesn't incur the overhead of multiple interpreters running to make the UI
functional.

> Otherwise we might get a lot of complaints when applets start to break.

no one is suggesting to do that.

> > is their upkeep worth it now that we have QML?
>
> Like above, I don't think (even if a decision would be made) that they could
> be removed until the transition to KF5.

ageed.