repositories beyond kde-workspace

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 15 13:07:04 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 13:37:09 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> IMHO it should all be in workspace on pko. If we drop out of the SC (and
> given some comments on the threads, that seems to be common agreement) we
> don't need extragear anymore for workspace stuff.

i honestly think this would be the best thing, long term, for Workspaces as
well as Frameworks. i think the applications will end up needing an SC type
release, but i think we have more to gain for everyone if we break out the
Workspaces entirely.

this means, however, that we'd have to take on a very large set of work:
participating much more in release engineering without relying on the existing
release team to do it all for us as we currently do. it will almost certainly
make having 2-3 workspace coordinators a *requirement* so that this has a
chance of happening.

we've done this with Plasma Active, and it works remarkably better than my
pessimism tends to think it will. and we can also do a lot better than we have
done with Active in terms of releases.

the idea of this is simultaneously exciting and scary :)

if we can work out consensus on this, and can work out a plan of how it might
work in practice, online .. then i think we should bring this with us to our
next dev sprint and this year's Akademy to both polish that plan up and work
on introducing it to the rest of the community.

first .. we need to ensure we have consensus on this. as you noted, it seems to
be more and more apparent this is the case. it might be easier to confirm this
once we list all our components, ensure there's a maintainer for each of them,
and then have each maintainer represent their module in such a decision. i
think we can, and ought to, make this decision democratically as it impacts us
all.