Thoughts about a better Quality Management process for Plasma

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jan 14 10:22:41 UTC 2013

of course I have forgotten to mention one suggestion.

In KWin we added a totally awesome feature to get introspection on the running
instance. If you have not seen it yet, just try:
qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin supportInformation

This significantly improved the time we spent on bug reports. Instead of
asking the users what settings they use, what GPU they have and so on, we just
ask them to paste the command into a command line and upload the result. The
running instance does not lie. I'm not saying users lie, but very often they
just don't know what they configured. Asking for kwinrc doesn't help due to
cascades installed by the distro.

I think this would also be interesting for Plasma:
* which Plasmoids are running
* which containments are present
* what are the settings of each Plasmoid

Cheers
Martin