reflecting on 4.10

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jan 12 16:57:37 UTC 2013

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 17:38:03 Marco Martin wrote:
> wonder how much scales for something as big as the kde-workspace repo...

my experience with plasma-mobile seems to indicate that it is easily done by
one person. i wouldn't want to see one person doing all of kdelibs, kde-
runtime, kde-workspace, kdeplasma-addons, plasma-mobile, etc ;) that woudl be
a bit much, to say the least. but kde-workspace as a repo, no problem.

it would probably take a couple hours per week maximum.

keeping record of which branches are being merge (and sometimes in which
order), what conflict resolution choices are made (when needed) and what
cherry-picks (if any) are done seems to be the biggest chore.

the next biggest job is when merging a new branch in, sometimes there are
conflicts or a newer version of master is needed, or ... and that can take a
few minutes at times. once the first merge is done, it tends to be a cakewalk
after that.

i was honestly pretty hesitant about how much work it would be at first, but
it's proving to be very, very little work compared to what i was expecting.

actually *testing* the results takes far, far more time and that is something
that must be parallelized anyways so we cover as many different configurations
and hit as many code paths as possible.

so i think it is reasonable and possible to see one integration branch
maintainer per repository, with a backup person for each repo.

> also, for maintaining integration merged.. woder if there could be a bit of
> automation ivolved?

probably, but git already makes it so fast that i think little more is really
needed. i'm more interested in tools for nominating branches as merge
candidates.