reflecting on 4.10

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Sat Jan 12 16:01:40 UTC 2013

This is my opinion now (no longer what I remember from the sprint).

On Saturday 12 January 2013 15:54:39 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday, January 12, 2013 14:08:44 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > -Master
> > -Integration
>
> this is what we are doing now in plasma-mobile. it has taken a bit to get
> used to (mostly for me doing the integration branch; we were already using
> branches heavily). i think it is working pretty well. i blogged about this
> recently, in fact :)
>
> it should come as no surprise but i'm very much in favour of this model and
> would love to see it tried in kde-workspace as well.
>
> this would require buy-in from kwin, plasma, system settings, powerdevil,
> etc. developers. but i think we can get that with a bit of communication.
>
> the only way this works, however, (in addition to the communication you
> covered in your email) is if someone is actively managing the integration
> branch and if we developers use that branch on a regular basis.
Imho there should be a group of people managing integration we should not
depend on a single person in almost anything.

Also, the branch should be stable enough so all distros can have a repo with
daily packages of it and promote their usage (not just saying oh look we have
snapshots but it may kill kitties).

> > If you ask me, best way to sort this down will be Akademy.
>
> people often say this, and i have a slightly different viewpoint after
> having done this for many years now. what i've noticed is that anything
> that gets decided on *at* Akademy, or any larger event (e.g. platform 11),
> tends not to get implemented or put underway for sometime. often, not until
> the next big event.
>
> what seems to work a lot better is to arrive at the event with an
> understanding or agreement on what to try to accomplish and then spend time
> at the event either starting actual work on it and/or reviewing how things
> have worked in practice up to that point and then working on modifications
> / tweaks / improvements on the
> already-agreed-upon-and-started-to-be-put-into-practice process.
>
> sometimes we can get to agreement without an in-person meeting, and then
> there's no option. but when we can get to such a meeting with some agreement
> and even some work already happening, it seems to quite reliably speed up
> the process of implementation by 6-18 months.
>
> i can point to numerous examples in the past few years that bear this out.
> in fact, the master/integration (aka "always summer in trunk") methodology
> is a good example of this :)
>
> so my hope is that out of this thread we can find 3-4 ideas that we can
> decide on together online and then put into place as best we can so that
> when we gather in Bilbao in the summer we will already have some experience
> in the matter and can use that opportunity to improve (or drop :) what
> we're doing.

Very good points, let's start to draft something then.

Maybe, we can have a hangout to kickstart this? I'd really like to talk this
in a channel which offer more bandwidth.

Cheerz !