reflecting on 4.10

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Sat Jan 12 13:08:44 UTC 2013

On Friday 11 January 2013 20:37:58 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday, January 11, 2013 18:37:44 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > If we want to discuss this, we should start another thread for not going
> > off topic.
>
> imho it's completely on topic.
Very well then

We talked about quality, reviews and process during more or less all the
sprint, it was kind of a "lunch/coffee/break/beer topic".

One of the results of these talks was a proposal to change how we do releases,
and how we do development, if my memory is not tricking me sebas sent an email
somewhere proposing it, but nothing happened.

We talked about using the development process we designed in the Platform11
sprint and was presented by Cornelious as well of shorting release cycles when
the new way of worked was proven.

For those who don't know about this development process, basically all the
magic happens in branches 2 of which are used for releases.

-Master
-Integration

Master will be always stable and release ready, also the strings will be
frozen so every time something is merged into master it means strings won't
change until next release.

Integration is where all working branches will be merged and what users
(including us) that wants to be in the cutting edege will use.

The merge process is important since it is exactly what will (in theory)
prevent us from breaking Integration. This merge process was afaik not
completely drafted/agreed on, but from the top of my head:

-It will be merged only when it is release ready (minimum quality check)
-It will go through a review process similar to what we have today but it will
happen within the kde-workspace module (or any other) and it won't have a time
limit. If nobody reviews it it won't be merged.

All of that is from my memory. It may be wrong but community.kde.org is down
at the moment of writing this email so I can't check notes (I think we wrote
some).

Then, there were talks about feature planning and how everybody involved in
the Workspace should be aware of what we are doing (I remember we talked about
blogs being not enough to announce stuff) and the things we work on should be
agreed/created in group so everybody understand them. This was specially
discussed after the afternoon we used to make clear what all the new terms
meant (Active, Plasma, Shell, Workspaces, Desktop, Countour, etc).

That's more or less a memory dump written down in a few lines, it is not my
opinion but rather what I remember we discussed/concluded there.

If you ask me, best way to sort this down will be Akademy.

Cheerz.