reflecting on 4.10

Weng Xuetian wengxt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 20:20:42 UTC 2013

On Friday 11 January 2013 17:26:39,Marco Martin :
> On Friday 11 January 2013, Marco Martin wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 January 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > hello.
> > >
> > > we're nearly at the point of releasing 4.10. with this development cycle
> > > very fresh in mind, it is a reasonble time to reflect on how it went.
> > > this thread can be a place for us to do so, if we so wish. and i hope we
> > > do so that we can improve our processes in the future.
> > >
> > > so how do you think 4.10 went?
> >
> > mixed feelings: we did a lot, but definitely as already noted the process
> > wasn't managed so well and the qa was not at the top (putting also myself
> > in the blame list for that, is something that each of us shares a bit)
>
> thinking more about it...
> maybe what we actually need is someone with a wide enough knowledge of the
> codebase, that continuously uses master and tests, poking people when
> regressions happen? (especially in areas far from what one usually works in,
> since for own area "proximity blindness" can happen) this kindof happens
> already, but there isn't anythng "formal "about it

Maybe the solution is to have extra milestone, do extra alpha/beta, let
distribution handle the testing work. That would be much more helpful for
doing it from KDE side.

I guess another problem is, KDE devs are also KDE user themselves, which means
unless they have extra machine for clean test, people will be much more lazy
to test all changes since keeping two desktop environment and do all UI hard
test is hardly impossible. Obviously, at least in KDE 4.10, people don't pull
all changes all the time.