reflecting on 4.10

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 20:13:58 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday, January 11, 2013 22:11:49 Vishesh Handa wrote:
>> I think this is too big for one person.
>
> certainly one person can not do it *all*. however, as i think 4.10 has shown
> rather dramatically, unless there is at least one person who is specifically
> given this responsibility, nobody does anything in this area.
>
>> It might be better to allocate different people to different parts of
>> Plasma & Kwin.
>
> keeping in mind what happened with 4.10, how will they coordinate?
>
>> Preferably based on their configuration. We could even make
>> up a page of who uses what kind of configuration (generally), and
>> accordingly see what isn't being covered.
>
> yes, this is great for end product testing. we still need:
>
> * to process those results
> * coordinate large efforts as they happen
> * catch obvious regressions before they hit these people
>
> we need both a good # of people testing different configuration. in part, that's
> us on this list; it should also be, as you note, a larger group of people who
> we build a well known means of communication with; which would be
> bugs.kde.org.
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo

Why don't we use one of the sprints for this?
Next up in just a few months is the kde pim sprint (can't wait ^_^)
and some months later is akademy. "we" need a sprint where people from
a variety kde applications are coming together and just test each
others components. That would probably improve the quality of the next
kde release and make the testing/reporting very easy.

The only thing for this to happen is a meeting/sprint (real in person
one, not on irc) to take place ~one week before the first RC i guess.
Or perhaps two weeks.

Or is this a bad idea?