reflecting on 4.10

Andreas Demmer mail at andreas-demmer.de
Fri Jan 11 12:34:22 UTC 2013

Hi!

> so how do you think 4.10 went?

I was not involved deeply in this release and did not contribute anything
besides some hopefully insightful bug reports.

> what do you feel are the "defining" accomplishments for the desktop
> workspace in 4.10? (e.g. the positive things people will talk about when
> they get 4.10 on their machines)

They will talk about the new artwork (plasma theme + wallpaper) for sure. I do
not think that the impact of the QtQuick transition will be too obvious
despite the new and sleeker look of some plasmoids.

> what do you personally like about the results of 4.10?

I *love* the new appmenu! Once enabled, all apps suddenly do look a lot more
simplistic!

> what, if anything, did you not like about the 4.10 development cycle?

Some major regressions were introduced that could have been discovered before
merging, i.e. partly broken shadows and OSD transparency.

> what, if anything, would you like to be done the same way in 4.11?

I like that developers also focus on changes "under the hood" that may stay
unnoticed but are a big invest into KDEs future.

> what, if anything, would you like to be done differently in 4.11?

Some features should be merged after "the extra mile" or stay at least hidden.
As much as I love KDE for its vast feature-richness, I am always a little said
that new KDE releases have obvious visual glitches that may raise the
impression of a lack of loving details which is not the truth.

Yours,
Andreas

--
http://www.andreas-demmer.de