Review Request 108992: Simple optimizations in SignalPlotter

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Feb 21 08:09:07 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 13:47:37 Raul Fernandes wrote:
> I think it is the worst response that I can have.
> Never in my entire life I saw anyone that complains about creating classes
> outside loops looses the scope because it is one of the most basic forms of
> optimizing the code. Creating classes inside loops is a great waste of
> resources. That why KDE4 is still bloat and slow.
> Is is so true that KDE3 is still alive.
> I think some developers should learn how to write better and fast code and
> avoid some commentaries like this or "This is only one more full update.
> Who cares??" (I saw this insanity in some place in KDE's code).

So the way we go about topical criticism in the Plasma team is to be calm and
explain things, not to resort to personal or even project-wide attacks. If
someone doesn't understand your patch, or has a different point of view,
that's no reason to become overly defensive, offensive or even condescending.

In this case, Aleix has taken time out of his busy schedule to review your
patch. He's met with unjustified hostility, however. Not good.

We try to keep the discourse in the Plasma team productive and friendly,
please help with that.

> This patch
> is one of those that I should not put in review because it is so basic, but
> I do because I don't want to commit anything without approval.

Code reviews are an important means to maintain code quality. If a patch is
"too basic to be reviewed", that says more about the person judging than about
the code in question.

Do you have a git account? If not I can commit the patch for you.

More importantly: Please keep things friendly, we want Plasma to be an
enjoyable place, not a place where people disrespect each other. No code
improvement is worth that.

sebas