We need GSOC ideas

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:46:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM,  <josephk at email.it> wrote:
> hi,
> I was thinking that we really need a full featured touchpad KCM.
> also, 4.11 could be definitely time to have a QML kmix applet.
> I proposed a system settings ui cleanup time ago
> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=109262
> I remember we had an announcement about Dragonplayer 3 time ago, with a new
> shiny qml overlay ui..
> Also web accounts kcm needs manpower in order to be ready for a release.
> some gsoc ideas I had..
> cheers people

I can think of quite a few ideas. But i can't mentor them. My C++
knowledge is too little to be able to mentor anyone at that. But i can
make up ideas :)
Here we go, feel free to grab one. This is very personal preference
like, but perhaps some ideas are considered good enough.

1. Make all KDE's models ready for QML
KDE has some models (KDirModel comes to mind) that work quite well,
but are aimed at the QWidget age. Keep that compatibility but make it
usable for QML as well. With KDirModel it should be noted that there
are a few different implementations already (3 that i know of) that
all already implement QML support.

2. Recreate KDirWatch
KDirWatch works, but it's internals are very odd. All different
backends (inotify, fam, polling and a few others) are all implemented
in the same cpp file. That makes it difficult to maintain. KDirWatch
would probably benefit from a interface like implementation structure
where each implementation is implemented in it's own class.

3. Investigate + build a generic global shortcut implementation
KDE currently has it, but it going to have to change for wayland
anyway. Qxt also has something. The end goal here should be to come up
with something that "could" be merged back in Qt.

That's it for the things that i can think of at this moment.