QML Placces design discussion

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 17:59:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2013 15:58:15 Mark wrote:
>> Anyway, if you need any information regarding that, please just ask. I
>> have the setup at home and i can easily compile any patches you have
>> for me.
> Best would be to try whether using KScreen improves the situation. If not get
> in contact with Alex so that KScreen handles the case correctly.

I just tested this. While KScreen is truly a marvelous app, it doesn't
fix the issue.
My testcase:
1. Open dolphin
2. Drag it to the third screen
3. Close it (and turn the screen off)
4. Open dolphin again

Now it opens on the third screen so you see absolutely nothing. If you
also happen to have your taskbar set to only show the tasks running on
your current screen then you just don't see dolphin at all. Like it
swam away ;)

Adding Alex to CC, perhaps he knows a randr trick to prevent windows
from opening on monitors that are attached but powered off. Though i
think the best bet here would be KWin. I am curious though, how can
you even detect if a monitor is powered on?

Regards,
Mark