QML Placces design discussion

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 13 17:34:28 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 16:00:43 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2013 15:24:49 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > but there's a pragmatic solution:
> > 	hide the fucking thing when there is only one vd.
>
> Have you seen Aurelien's suggestion of adding a button to the KCM where one
> changes the number of virtual desktops to add the pager to the setting? This

yes ... what i don't like about it:

* relies on their being a panel .. and the ability to identify which one in
the case of multiple panels

* needs to work in both directions -> does it remove all pagers? just the
one(s) it adds?

* it means there is now more than one way to add widgets .. i'm not against
this in all cases i can imagine, but it's nicer if we can avoid it. consider:
someone asks "how do i add a pager widget?" and the answer is not "open Add
Widgets and.." but "go into system settings and .." how odd.

* it means we need to add a code path to run scripts via, e.g., dbus (assuming
we don't go the even more absurd route of hardcoding this precise behaviour
into plasma-desktop :)

as a bonus, it's a lot more work :)