QML Placces design discussion

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 15:17:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2013, Mark wrote:
>> Then on to the fixing part. If you remove the pager from the default
>> setup there is only one other way to get the pager. Adding it
>> explicitly! So then the question becomes: if the user adds it
>> explicitly, should the pager "just" be visible? Regardless of the
>> number of VD's? Because if that's the case (which it seems) then there
>> is no need in adding a hidden config. Then it's just a matter of
>> removing that one "visible: ..." line.
>
> basically:
> * by default there is one pager, hidden (and takes no space)
> * if the user adds a second one will see the pager with the single desktop
> visible
> * if the increases the number of desktops, the hidden pager shows itself
>
> so, if there is a problem in this approach is the user that may end up with
> two running pagers without noticing it, but this while not really elegant,
> doesn't have real functional or visible  issues, so seeing the cost/benefit,
> pros/cons of various options, this one seems to work best

Ehhh, yes. That would fix about everything (along with a hidden config
option for the vdThreshold) but having something completely hidden on
the panel is not something i'd like to encourage.. We (all in this
topic) and people reading this topic know about this, but it's not
really something to be expected thus will be causing confusion.