QML Placces design discussion

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 10:56:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2013, Mark wrote:
>
>> That would probably be the best way i guess.
>> But then we still have an empty taskbar area occupied by the pager
>> during the 4.10 cycle. I can hardly imagine that to be the intention?
>>
>> It's just a simple QML one liner.. If you want i can commit the change
>> (as posted a few posts back) to 4.10..
>>
>> When i brought this issue up in RB and moved it to this list i was
>> actually expecting a reply like: "Ohh, we introduced a new pager in
>> 4.10 that occupies space without putting anything in it by default.
>> Lets fix that asap." But there is nothing like that. Like you guys
>> just don't see it as an issue.. Why is that?
>
> i wouldn't be against not shipping the pager by default.
> there is just one thing that doesn't sound about right.
> should also be easy to go back to multiple desktop, and if the pager is not
> there, then the user can easiuly increase the number of desktops in
> systemsettings, but then doesn't get any pager and looks like setting that
> option didn't have any effects (i can already sense bug reports for that :p)

Actually, i have a "free wheel" scrollwheel in my mouse. It scrolls
very fast and if i accidentally scroll just a little bit on the
desktop i'm instantly zapped to one of the other VD's (if i have set
it to 1+). Something that you just don't notice if you don't have a
pager and some windows open on a monitor where you're not looking.
Another point where one look at the pager instantly tells me that i'm
working on another VD.