This would be very cool with the new plasma shell.

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 10:11:16 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 13 February 2013, Mark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's been a while ago since i last heard anything about the
> "Chameleon", but it seems to be finished and installable for android
> devices: http://chameleonlauncher.com/
>
> Implementing something like this on the new plasma shell in QML would
> be very easy, right?

what i see is mostlya space of widget arranged in a particular layout.
very similar variation to 3 containments we already had, 2 of which in QML
already, the netbook "newspaper", the active default containment, the active
"widget strip"

there are small differences in look/behavior, but those are details. (biggest
difference from the "widget strip" is that is possible to have more than one
widget per column, a feature i would like to have in it)

basically is another reimagination of the same old concept :p

as for their widgets per se, maybe would be even possible to directly support
them, since i see they are written in html, and we have a basic support for
that (would need package format + eventual extra api binded to the javascript
available to the html part)

> Also, if you stroll down on that url you will see three screenshots
> with "morning", "work" and "evening". I smell activities there ^_^
>
> Perhaps it would also be interesting to have something like that for
> plasma-active?
>
> Before one asks or suggests. No, i'm not going to make it. Just
> letting the plasma folks know about the chameleon existence and that
> it might be cool to have. The most difficult thing to make here is
> probably not the layout but connecting to all the various content

as usual, dataengines and extra models is something we can just ask
contributions for, that's always welcome :p

Cheers,
Marco Martin